Here is more of my learning experience on cloth diapering. I have been learning ALOT... I am not sure I could have realized some of this stuff without taking the plunge. But I will just pass on to you what I have learned and so maybe it can be helpful if you decide to use cloth or are using it already this may be helpful.
- Register for Cloth if that is something you are EVER thinking of attempting. The front expense can be pricey and quite frankly not worth it depending on the type you choose. Even if you don't do cloth full time if you get some as a gift when you use them it's ALL savings in your pocket.
- If you or your spouse have Sensitive skin stay away from synthetic fibers, mainly microfiber. Stick with cotton, hemp, bamboo, or a combination of those. This I have learned has been our issue. Getting advice from the owner of Lulu's detergent and For Mom and Keiki I have bought some remnant fleece (which is still a synthetic fiber but from their knowledge works better than the microfiber for sensitive bums) at our local Joann's store really inexpensive. And just cut them up to fit over my microfiber inserts so his bum isn't in direct contact with the microfiber. Seems to be helping. And with this liner I can use diaper rash cream if I need be. Because if the fleece ever begins to repel no biggie just toss in the trash and make a new liner out of some other scrap fleece. CHEAP easy fix. Another plus of the liner is ALL the big mess ends up on it and seems to preserve your diaper better. But a downside if you use diaper rash cream with your liner then you don't want to wash your liner with your diapers because that could spread the cream to them which can cause repelling of your diapers.
- If you are making the investment in cloth diapers. I would buy the type you feel is best for you but only enough for one day. Try it for at least 1 month before making more purchases. Because I didn't experience any rashes till that second month. Or do a little modpodge of types before decided on the one. It's just so hard to know till you take the plunge! haha The main types of cloth diapers are: AIO (all in ones) pretty much just like a disposable but washable. This is the most expensive system to use. Pocket Diapers - this is also pretty pricey, but very convenient if you don't mind stuffing your diapers. Covers with inserts - this is very economical, expecially if your cover is a one size so you can use the same cover their whole diapering life. Prefolds and covers - like the cover insert system. But these are the "old fashion" way where you must pin the prefold on then put on the cover. Also an economical system but I think the Cover with inserts are cheaper if you get a one size system (like the Flip) because with prefolds even though they can be cheap you have to buy different sizes which can add up.
- The MOST helpful place I have found to learn about cloth diapers and detergent. Is the For Mom and Keiki I cannot tell you enough how great she has been. So check out her website and she has the best prices with free shipping!
- Cloth wipes are easypeasy. I prefer a squirt bottle from a spray bottle to moisten my wipes. (with a spray bottle seems to take tooo many sprays). I just mix a few drops of Dr. Bronner's soap (unscented baby formula) with warm water and there is my solution. But just remember if you use any diaper rash cream and are removing it with the wipes then you should wash them separate from the diapers. I just cut up some of my excess flannel blankets I had and there was my free wipes.
Ok that is all for today. Hope you found it helpful. I think this is my new hobby...can cloth diapering be a hobby! haha just trying to get it "right" for our family. If we are ever blessed with another child I think the second go around with cloth will be smoother...such a lil learning curve. :)
It can TOTALLY be a hobby. One I would like to take up given that we have more babies! :)
ReplyDeleteStill loving the tips! We bought our first cloth diapers this past weekend and look forward to trying them out. I think that we're going to like the flip the best...
ReplyDeleteTrish! Hey yes I like the Flip but if I had known Micah would be sensitive to the microfiber inserts I would have prob went with the organic ones!
ReplyDelete