Monday, November 29, 2010

Cloth Diapering Update #3

Hello friends... OK so you may be wondering if I ever started cloth.  Well I did.  On Nov. 15th my stash arrived.  I ordered 2 FLIP day packs, a day pack includes 2 covers and 6 inserts.  And I had already bought 2 covers from a friend and 4 inserts.  So my total Flip system is up to 6 covers and 16 inserts.  I bought this from Kelly's Closet and she was giving free shipping and a free diaper for purchases over $30.  I split up my purchase and received 2 free Kawaii pocket diapers.
I wasn't sure what all the rave about pocket diapers were since you can only use them once and then have to wash the whole thing.  Where as the covers can be used all day unless it gets soiled...usually just the insert gets soiled and you remove it and then place a new one.  But oh now I see it's all about the convenience.  If you stuff your pocket diaper ahead of time then it's pretty much just like throwing on a disposable you put it on easily and then just take off and toss it into your pail.  But with the Flip cover system it takes a little getting used to to make sure the insert doesn't move while putting it on and then when you take off the diaper you have to remove insert, wipe down the cover, and then let it air out.  So a little more time. I have come up with a system though that I think makes it quicker:

I have 3 covers in rotation.  One being used, one with the insert in it ready to go, and one airing out.  And so I just rotate this all day unless one gets soiled.  This works pretty great for me since I have 2 in diapers.  They each get 3 covers and if any of them get soiled well the rotation goes slower...and then when none is left...time to wash :) 

The biggest downer I have seen about my 2 freebie pocket diapers is that they are definitely way more bulkier than the Flip.  I don't really like all that bulkiness messes up their cute outfits :)  But that may be just this type of pocket diaper.  Because I have heard awesome things about the BumGenius pocket diapers.  I am hoping to add a couple of these in to my stash for the times when convenience may be needed (like making it easier on a babysitter) 
Overall I am very satisfied with the Flip system.  I have not had ANY of these diapers leak!  So may be doing more laundry for washing the diaper but not for washing soiled clothes!! :) 
Hope that all made sense.  Just ask if you have any more questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment