Thursday, August 23, 2012

Chalkboard frames

So I was trying to think of a fun way to decorate the kiddos rooms. I am trying to make it a gender neutral friendly room. Lots of my friends have made chalkboards. So I thought I could paint some old frames and make them into chalkboards. And I am planning on having a chalkboard wall in their room :)
I read a lot about chalkboard paint and it sounded like a good option. But I also learned about chalkboard contact paper in my websearches. It sounded easy especially since I was going to be turning glass into a chalk board. And the contact paper is made for smooth surfaces. So I ordered the contact paper off of Amazon about $8 and free 2 day shipping since for some reason they are giving away a month of free amazon prime.
First I painted the frames.






Then the contact paper arrived and I covered the glass in about an hour. I figured out if you peel a little of the contact paper at a time it is easier to stick on. And then once I had it on the glass I could easily peel it off and on till I got all the bubbles out.



Then I read you should "cure" the board first by rubbing chalk all over and erasing so thats what I did and then it worked great!
I also tried some chalk markers on it and that worked too. Once I get them hung on the walls I will post another pic of that.
I let the kiddos give them a try this morning. Success!


Writing with chalk markers


Slowly the kids room is coming together. Here is their bunk beds with their comforters on :)
Molly made her bed for this pic.









And I finally decided I am going to move the crib and have a nursery again. I think that will be easiest. So continuing to rearrange furniture and decorate :) let the nesting begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment