Monday, February 27, 2012

Travel tips with Small Children

Hey everyone!!  We had a wonderful Spring retreat and we are also glad to be back home.  I will update with more specific praises on the Spring Retreat on a later post.  Today I wanted to recap on some of the things that helps me travel with my 3 1/2 yr old girl and 18 month boy.
For the Car Drive:

  • books - especially books with tabs, as both LOVE to lift the tabs and look.  And then just lots of variety.  My 18 month LOVES books with pictures, especially the ones that just have pics of animals.  He still needs mostly the cardboard type as he likes to destroy books.

  • Felt board (for 3 1/2 yr old)  Molly loves these. And can pretend and play with these.

  • Snacks, snack, and more snacks :)  I have 2 snack cups like these and I fill them with cereal or a hit from this weekend goldfish and that also helps them handle the long car rides. Oh and to go along with this they both have a sippy cup with water.

  • Music - my kids love fun music to listen to or stories 

  • 18 month old will play with toys but they are switched out often. So the more intricate to work with the better.

  • Quiet time.  When it's nap time we have quiet time.  Molly isn't allowed to talk which allows Micah to sleep, because he needs a nap but tries to stay awake if she is engaging him.  Sometimes Molly naps other times she is just quiet.  Which is also nice so mommy and daddy can have some quiet chat time.

For mom (ME) to note:

  • Traveling means change and young children like routine.  So be ready to use extra patience.  And when speaking to them get good eye contact and speak gently and make sure you have their full attention.  They get extra stimulated with the travel so you have to work harder to make sure they focus and understand you so they can obey you.

  • Have FUN!!  It's an adventure for them and use this adventure to grow their character and their view of the world!  Lots of education can be learned when traveling! Plan ahead and think of ways you can maximize this opportunity!

  • Get them excited about traveling by having them help you pack!  Both our kids have their own backpack and so they bring items they want and pack them.  They love having this!

  • Pack early!  Like at least be done the day before I leave, so that I am not stressing.  If I stress I have poor character which flows into my family.  This means I am less patient, kind, loving, ect.  So I need to be ahead and not behind!

Well that's all for today.  Here is a pic when we came back from our Spring Retreat with the kiddos proudly helping me unload our car by carrying their backpacks.









1 comment:

  1. They are just too cute!!! Glad you had a good trip. I enjoy your Hayes Happenins. :)

    ReplyDelete